[AMRadio] "AM Ghetto"

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Sun Nov 10 12:00:21 EST 2013

On 11/10/2013 10:22 AM, Jim Wilhite wrote:
> It isn't????

I really don't want to sound like a zealot because I enjoy many modes of
operation, but since I started this, I figure I should make clear what
I'm talking about.

HF Pack is "portable HF operation", regardless of mode.   We all know
what "mobile" and "maratime mobile are, so the best defintion of HF Pack
is probably "everything other than operating from a fixed station or a
vehicle".  Most often that means pedestrian, bicycle, or occasionally
horse/mule/goat-mobile ;-)  It also includes portable operation from a
temporary location while hiking, camping, etc, as well as emergency
communication on HF (although it's certainly no limited to that).  I
guess you could say that Field Day was the original HF Pack operation.

Common aspects include low power, battery power (sometimes with solar,
wind, hand/foot, etc assistance), and the use of portable antennas.
All modes are used, but HF Pack operation has certainly become more
popular with the emergence of small lightweight all-mode radios like the
FT-817 (which makes pretty good AM!) although military pack sets and
even HF handie-talkies are in also used. To get the most out of low
powered gear,  HF Pack operators tend to be pretty sharp when it comes
to antennas and propagation, and having a known starting point (calling
frequency) where others might be monitoring is helpful.     USB is used
because it has become the global standard for non-amateur HF voice, and
is the "common denominator" mode supported by all radios typically used.

It would be pretty futile for a low-power HF Pack operator try to "chase
someone off THEIR frequency" as it's understood that even
internationally-recognized calling frequencies are shared by all
amateurs.   My point was only that it would be a courtesy to steer clear
of 7296 if possible,  or better yet, give a holler if you hear a weak
USB station calling CQ HF Pack.  I'm sure he'd appreciate the contact
and probably would get a kick out of switching to the AM mode for a  QSO
with you.

73, Bob W9RAN