Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Nov 10 16:42:08 EST 2013

> I don't
> know if it is a ham or what, but if it is a ham, these digital voice
> or SSTV or whatever they are, seem to just fire up and go with no care
> to the current use of a frequency, and they don't ID in an analog way,
> like a CW ID now either.   I wonder if this is some kind of HF digital
> D-Star or APRS automatic thing.  It is pretty outrageous.
>
> 73
>
> Rob
> K5UJ

I recall there used to be a legal requirement that when you ran RTTY,
you had to also ID in CW, and with SSTV, you had to ID in CW or voice.
Now, I hear these digital mystery signals and SSTV operation both
analogue and digital, and no-one IDs in cw or voice. You don't even know
if it's a legitimate ham signal or if it's an intruder on our bands if
you are not equipped to decipher a myriad of digital codes.

Does anyone know if the FCC actually changed the rules and deleted those
ID requirements?

Don k4kyv