[AMRadio] West Coast AM on 7293

Steven Harrison n5yrj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 11 22:28:45 EST 2013

Tuned across 40 meters AM last night.

Wanted to show a friend that was interested in the Hobby how fun AM radio is...

Well as I tuned in 7293 the SSB splatter was horrible so I switched over to a SSB rig... What I found was a group on 7288 bashing the AMers and they purposely were running Upper Sideband to "agitate the AMers". I don't know what set them off but they were throwing carriers, running high power with ALC cranked all the way to the right. The SSB signals were as wide an AM signal.

Tuned in 7293 this afternoon had some nice QSO's. Was on AM about 45 minutes when the group on 7288 started up again. I was watching signals on a SDR, the AMers were running signals 6-7kc wide while some of the 7288 sidebanders were running 5-6 kc wide.

So that's what we got to deal with on the West Coast...

Thank goodness for the super pro 400 which does a good job of fighting the QRM....

73' de N5YRJ
Steve H.