[AMRadio] West Coast AM on 7293

manualman at juno.com manualman at juno.com
Tue Nov 12 17:34:02 EST 2013

7125 to 7300 is reversed for phone operation. AM is phone. Anyone can
operate AM anywhere in that range depending on their license. Maybe we
should learn to turn the tuning dial. This is no different then firing up
on SSB and calling a CQ. Sidebanders do tune around looking for a
contact. Now I understand the mentality of "calling frequency" but why
limit yourself to another one frequency (i.e 7160 or whatever). AM
operators, I'm sure, know how to tune a receiver although some might
complain their antenna is not cut for another frequency or it takes too
long to re-tune the transmitter or some other excuse that QSY is too much
of a problem. For 40 meters, like we did for 75/80 meters, we should
identify a frequency range (maybe 7150 to 7185). 7185 at least may
capture some General class activity. If you can't figure out how to tune
across 35 KHz you probably have other issues.

Pete, wa2cwa