[AMRadio] Hallicrafters SX 28A Parts needed

John King k5pgw at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 22:34:15 EST 2013

Mark, I am no expert, but the SX 28 was built during WWII for the military. It is my understanding, (may not be correct) that the SX 28A receivers were Post War and they began the A models in 1945. Mine is a HA 25,XXX number which is a post war model built for the other than the military effort.

The technician refurbishing mine tells me that the 28 and the 28A are VERY different in that the SX 28A has a sub-chassis for the RF input stage that has the input coils and RF amplifier tubes thereon. The sub-chassis is removeable,   which makes the frontend of the SX 28A  easier to recap and work on. Mine has a burned input coil and a couple of damaged slugs in coils. That is why I need the sub-chassis.

Some early SX 28A receivers were made for the Military and that is why the DOD manual for the SX 28A is different from the later SX28A receivers.  I hope this doesn't confuse you even more. 73, John, K5PGW