[AMRadio] New Topic - moniitoring modulation help please

John Coleman jc at pctechref.com
Thu Nov 14 16:34:12 EST 2013

Hi
Brian,
You may want to look at " http://www.qsl.net/wa5bxo/asyam/aam3.html " .
Although the article was written about the difference between sine wave
audio vs. voice audio in AM and how the rules have changed for Ham Radio
some time back, it has the voltage vs. power and math to help you with your
question.  As for as the method of hooking it up. As small link of 4-5 turns
in the tank coil area of the XMTR has always been a favorite of mine but the
last hook up I had was an antenna wire in the trees outside to pick up the
transmitted signal.  I actually built a small tuner circuit with 3 switched
coils and a 450 uuf variable.  Each coil was link coupled to the small
sampling antenna and tuned to the operating freq with a knob.  I could
adjust the knob to set the level of received signal to the scope.  In my
case I was directly coupled to the defection plates of the scope tube.  But
it could be for any vertical input on any scope.  The sensing antenna DOES
need to be outside and away from the shack so as not to pick up any of the
driver RF.  It can be brought into the shack via small coax and connected to
the tuner I mention or directly to the scopes vertical input.  Be sure to
place some type of RF choke across the scope input to keep electrical 60 cps
stuff out and static DC at a minimal.

For another test set up using a meter for measurering PEP is a 6AL5 mounted
in the top box of a Heath Cantenna dummy load.  Very easy and fun as well as
extremely accurate.  Let me know if interested.

73
John, WA5BXO