[AMRadio] New Topic - moniitoring modulation help please

Brett Gazdzinski b.gaz at comcast.net
Thu Nov 14 18:17:29 EST 2013

The cheap and easy way to do it is to hook a scope to an IF point in the receiver.
The r390 works really good for that.
If you get the signal into the receiver right, you can look at YOUR modulation on TX, and other peoples modulation on RX. The R390a was very good at doing that, both levels being very close.

I have that, plus a mod monitor (old ham fest buy), and the sdr-iq runs, if I over modulate, the spectrum display goes wide.

The sdr-iq also allows me to make sure my vfo has not drifted, even though its got a digital readout, its easier to look at the sdr display, that shows me where I am in relation to other signals.

The sdr-iq will run on almost any computer, and is not expensive.
it also makes for a good receiver.

You can also do tests like inject tone into the transmitter and adjust things for the lowest IMD and harmonics.
Easy to see on the sdr.

Brett
N2DTS