[AMRadio] Monitoring Modulation Accurately

W2XJ w2xj at w2xj.net
Fri Nov 15 11:17:23 EST 2013

With proper processing it should not be a problem. I always trust a scope before a mod monitor. Properly clipped negative peaks are easy to see and the absolute value of positives are not important. In broadcast it is common practice to modulate as much positives as the TX can take and in amateur operation a peak power measurement is the only thing that really counts.

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 15, 2013, at 5:15 AM, Steve WA1QIX <wa1qix at piesky.com> wrote:
>
> Using a scope to monitor your modulation gives you a good indication of the shape of your waveform, but the human eye is just not fast enough to catch the peaks nor can you really determine accurately your actual percentage of modulation unless you are using a very modern peak storing scope.

Sent from my iPad