[AMRadio] Monitoring Modulation Accurately

w8au at sssnet.com w8au at sssnet.com
Fri Nov 15 15:05:16 EST 2013

At 01:37 PM 11/15/2013, Bry Carling wrote:
>This is not true according to many things I have read. Talk power
>means something unless you are a plate mod only purist.
>Personally, I like reduced carrier AM a lot and it has never sound
>distorted to me. Not as much band blanking in between words or
>during long pauses but otherwise just great punching AM.

The operative phrase here is, "controlled carrier."

The carrier is only reduced during pauses.  It jumps up during speech to
provide enough carrier to properly mix with the sidebands to keep the
distortion down.    If it didn't you'd then have DSBSC.

Of course, if the receiving end had synchronous AM detection with BFO
a "reduced" carrier would work.

Perry