[AMRadio] Monitoring Modulation Accurately

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Sat Nov 16 11:53:32 EST 2013

Donald Chester pointed it out pretty well hitting it on the head.

Our Peak Reading Bird watt meters aren't going to be all that accurate.
Whom has taken and sent theirs back to Bird for calibration?

I run the BC-610.  I have to rein it in every time I light it off. It
allows 300cps through 4000cps through the audio chain, and if set by the
manual, it will far exceed the 1500 PEP.  I was stunned to see it break
2500W PEP when I got the Bird.  The Heathkit dual meter with peak
reading was absolutely useless.  Sold it after getting the bird.

So, as one other pointed out, I feed the 455KC if out from either an
R-390A or SP-600 to my SM-220 with BP-8.  I see what is coming in on
receive, and see what my TX signal looks like.  That's AFTER throttling
the Speech Amplifier to stay close to 1500W PEP.

Where am I actually at?  I haven't any better clue than anyone else
does!  I know that I'm somewhere in the ballpark.  I haven't had the FCC
holler nor any OO slips.

You pays your money and takes your chances!

Bob - N0DGN