[AMRadio] Monitoring Modulation Accurately

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Nov 16 12:57:33 EST 2013

If you are going to buy the venerable Bird with slugs to work from 50 watts
up to 5 KW and the peak reading option then consider another meter.

Take a look at the Telepostinc with his LP 100A.  It is guaranteed to 5% but
does better and the calibration is traceable to NBS.  Both are in the $4-500
range and you don't have to change slugs for different power ranges.

I have an LP 100 and compared it to a Bird 4411 some years back.  The slug
for the Bird was a new one from Bird and I found the linearity of the Bird
suffered some by comparison.  With the 4411 it is a peak meter but to get
the true peak, you have to do some math.  I won't go back to the Bird unless
I need something to carry up a tower and those days are past for me.

Here is some reading material about the LP 100A.  No connection to Larry,
just a satisfied customer.  By the way, he is a ham, N8LP.

http://www.telepostinc.com/lp100.html

Jim
W5JO