[AMRadio] 4-1000A Grounded Grid Class-C

Mike Sprenger mikesprenger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 09:15:46 EDT 2013

Larry,

Interesting you brought up Asymmetry and how it impacts AM.

I've wondered for some time, is anyone using a "Symmetra Peak" (Khan I
believe) which was a 4th order "All Pass" filter intended to deal with the
Asymmetry in speech.

Any "Modern Day" equivalents (perhaps built with Op-Amps, or, emulated in
software / DSP) out there in use ?

Thanks,
Mike

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Larry Szendrei <ne1s at securespeed.us> wrote:

> On 10/3/13 8:31 AM, Bry Carling wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing 90% modulation is hard to distinguish from 99% mod on the
>> air...
>>
>> Bry Carling
>> http://af4k.com
>>
>>  True, but you'll definitely notice a difference between 90% vs. 120-150%
> on positive peaks. There are plenty of signals on the air with positive
> peaks exceeding 120%, that don't exceed 100% on negative peaks, due to the
> natural asymmetry in the male voice. You need a transmitter with the
> headroom to allow it, though, and a plate-modulated grounded-grid stage
> won't (without also modulating the input signal, that is).
>

> 73,
> -Larry/NE1S

Thanks,
Mike Sprenger