[AMRadio] 4-1000A Grounded Grid Class-C

Steve WA1QIX wa1qix at piesky.com
Thu Oct 3 13:18:16 EDT 2013

It's a little more complex than just the drive power.  The power "return"
for the tube is the cathode, so the cathode is always in circuit.

The only feed through power you will get with a grid driven arrangement is
that caused by insufficient neutralization.  Some triodes such as the 304TL
or the 450TL as examples take a great deal of drive power, but this power
never appears in the output if the amplifier is properly designed and built
because a grid driven tiode will require neutralization.

If your amplifier does not yet exist (this is a new construction project?),
you are seriously better off using a grid driven topology.  I have a
personal preference for triodes, but they do require more drive and are
harder to neutralize, and on the higher bands might be harder to work with
depending on the tube.  If you are staying on 40 meters and lower, you have
nothing to worry about if you choose a triode, but tetrodes work just fine
and are easier to drive.  You will need to modulate the screen.  Avoid
self-modulating.  You will introduce a gradually increasing phase shift at
low frequencies as well as other deleterious effects.

The modulators should really and absolutely be a triodes for a variety of
technical reasons, not the least of which is the significantly lower plate
resistance of the tube, and the triode's ability to deliver a greater plate
swing and into an imperfect load (such as a modulation transformer!).

Anyway, just thoughts!

Regards,

Steve