[AMRadio] 4-1000A Grounded Grid Class-C

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 13:31:04 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Bernie  Doran
<qedconsultants at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Certainly possible. it would take a bit of driving power. Looking at the
> tube curves suggest a need for about 240 V RMS swing on the cathode.  I am
> assuming you are talking about grounded grid for RF, but normal operating
> voltage on the tube elements.   You also need to modulate the driver stage,
> usually stated at about 50 to 60 %.

Can't he drop the final plate v. relative to the modulator B+ and get
around needing to modulate the drive RF?

>It would also need about 150 to 200
> Watts of drive.

I think that's what you'd need if the 4x1 were being used as a RF
linear amp for full output but for a carrier to modulate, he'd
probably need less, maybe 70 watts, but that's still a lot.

73

Rob
K5UJ