[AMRadio] They just re-formatted the Radio Amateur's Handbook

Bill Guyger bguyger at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 13:14:46 EDT 2013

There's no doubt that any stepping stone that can be put out for beginners helps. I've been building gear since I was maybe 8 and I'm 66 now and boy do I owe a lot to Elmers and just reading things like the ARRL Handbook and QST's back in the day. OK I admit it, I was a nurd before the word was invented. I think one of my first books was a well used '49 ARRL hb that someone gave me, which I still have.

FWIW I was recently given a Radio Handbook published by Editors and Engineers in 1947. Plenty of theory explained very well, but the construction parts pretty much consist of a picture of a transmitter or receiver etc. and a schematic and you're on your own, no detailed explanation of how to. I guess it goes back to the old days (20's-30's) when radio front panels weren't labeled. If you didn't know what that control did, you had no business messing with it. Someone came along and realized that if the field / hobby was to grow the newbies needed a little help here and there.

Bill AD5OL