[AMRadio] They just re-formatted the Radio Amateur's Handbook

Tom Chesek tchesek at epix.net
Wed Oct 16 14:43:54 EDT 2013

The following is an excerpt from the 1st edition and it clearly states that
it is for the beginner:

"I wrote Ham Radio For Dummies for beginning hams. If you just became
interested
in ham radio, you find plenty of information here to explain what the
hobby is all about and how to go about joining the fun by discovering the
basics and getting a license.

If you already received your license, congratulations! This book helps you
change from a listener to a doer. Any new hobby, particularly a technical
one,
can be intimidating to newcomers. By keeping Ham Radio For Dummies handy
in your radio shack, getting your radio on the air and making contacts is
easy.
I cover the basics of getting a station put together properly and the
fundamentals
of on-the-air behavior. Use this book as your personal radio buddy
and soon you’ll sound like a pro!"    H. Ward Silver

I carried a prejudice toward the Dummies nomenclature from when I first
heard of the Dummies series of books and was turned off by the name.  That
name certainly did not seem professional but after perusing the book at
Borders I bought it in spite of the Dummies name.  It is only one of many
reference books that I own and each have their place in my library.  A good
friend of mine has expressed an interest in Ham radio and I think this book
is a good starting point for him.  I don't know what else to say but you
would have to read it to form your own opinion or like me you might start
out with a undeserved prejudice against it.

Tom K3TVC