[AMRadio] band plan

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed Oct 30 15:47:22 EDT 2013

From: Bry Carling <bcarling at cfl.rr.com>

>>Great, so no more CW in the DX window below 1810 and no AM at all. This is
outrageous. I SUGGEST WE START BY GETTING SOME NETS GOING ON 160 M A.M. AS
SOON AS POSSIBLE. Whoops caps lock on.>>

I try to stir up a  little activity on about 1885 whenever I can. So far
this season there seems to be a real dearth of AM activity on the band, and
actually not that much SSB activity either. And about everyone appears to go
to bed after 9 PM.

The other night about 10 PM there was a SSB group complaining because
"their" frequency was in use by an on-going AM QSO that had been running for
over two hours before they showed up, but there wasn't another signal (of
any mode) to be heard  all the way down to the bottom of the band. Yet they
patiently stood by until "their" frequency was clear and then proceeded to
complain because they had to wait 20 minutes before they could start up
their group.

I don't think anyone pays much attention to the IARU band plan, especially
for domestic communications on the lower frequency bands. Of course, you
will occasionally run into some stuffed-shirt who will try to play radio cop
and tell you that you aren't supposed to run AM on 160 because it isn't
listed on the band plan.

Don k4kyv