[AMRadio] IARU REGION 2 BANDPLAN

manualman at juno.com manualman at juno.com
Thu Oct 31 20:07:25 EDT 2013

In our Region 2, Bermuda is another one. I think the maximum phone
bandwidth there is 3 KHz. Likewise, I know of several countries in the
Caribbean (also Region 2) where maximum bandwidth is limited to 2.7 or 3
KHz. Countries that have a sizable amount of amateurs, yet don't have a
similar FCC-type government entity of administer radio policy that we do,
look to the IARU as a basis for setting their amateur radio policy. This
is true of a number of countries in our Region 2 and also in a number of
countries that are in Region 1 and Region 3.

And Don, you said:  "If we made it through all those years of extreme
congestion without specific bandwidth limits, why should they be imposed
now that the bands are much less crowded if not downright sparsely
populated?"

I agree, but the IARU Region 2 staff generated band plan recommendations
for all Region 2 countries which the U. S. is part of. Given that we have
a very large amount of licensed radio amateurs in the U. S. administered
by the FCC, our guidance and/or direction comes from them.  While the
IARU guidance may be important to some countries that don't have a solid
radio regulating structure, our "guiding light" still comes from
Washington.

I also agree that if we spent less time in front of the keyboard and more
time in front of the radio, our bands wouldn't be so sparsely populated,
even during the evening hours.

Pete, wa2cwa