[AMRadio] Hickock meter reoair help

Ka9p at aol.com Ka9p at aol.com
Fri Apr 4 08:32:36 EDT 2014

I'm hoping someone here can give me advice about fixing the meter from my
up until now old friend Hickock 539 tube tester.

The pretty much unobtainium meter became erratic, and after shunting a
smaller meter to get the tester going again, I disassembled the meter and took
a  look.

Turns out electrically the meter is fine.  What's happened is that the
needle and spiral wound coil has become disaatched from the coil that's wound
around the moving iron core.  Looks like a purely mechanical issue caused
by dissimilar metal corrosion there, no doubt because the tester was rescued
from a flood, but I can;t really tell how the physical connection was made
because of the corrosion.

My question is should I try to reattach that myself and if so with what,
or, is there a good reasonable meter guy I can ship it to to get it done
right  and preserve the original meter, or?

Thanks for any ideas.

Scott