Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Aug 3 15:02:12 EDT 2014

Yes, I am aware of a certain "AM is just another mode" element within the AM
community.  However, except for casual operators who primarily operate other
modes but like to occasionally push the AM button on their transceiver, I
think most of the active hard-core AMers  agree that there is something
exceptional about AM that draws us to it, beyond just another button to push
or mode switch setting to select.

You hit on one reason why I find myself working less and less CW lately.
Very rarely do you run into a homebrew rig anymore, and few are interested
in conversing about anything radio-related of a technical nature.
Increasingly, just exchange names, QTH and signal reports (often bogus 599s
after asking for multiple repeats ), followed by brand name and model number
of the radio (as if I could be expected to keep track of  them all), and
then the inevitable  TKS FER QSO OM CUL 73 QRZ? I find myself averaging
about ten QSOs of that variety for every real conversation that actually
interests me, radio or non-radio related. No doubt a computer is used  to
receive and send much of to-day's CW , by ops incapable of copying by ear. I
am told CW readers don't fare so well with code sent with a mechanical bug
or hand key; maybe that's the reason for fewer OTA ragchews.

Now don't get me wrong; I always welcome a newcomer to AM and  do what I can
help him get his radio set up to sound good and get the modulation right,
but it makes me less prone to operate outside the AM Ghetto (oops... I mean
WINDOW), when I call CQ and 90% of the replies are by someone trying out AM
for the very first time out of curiosity after hearing my CQ. I make it a
point to be friendly, helpful and never condescending; occasionally one of
these ops will like what he hears and decide to hang out on AM regularly,
maybe even ending up building his own rig or resurrecting a piece of vintage
equipment.  Some top-shelf AM signals are generated with transceiver +
leen-yar, when the AM mode isn't such an afterthought that a quality signal
can't be generated no matter what. YMMV. But I hope amateur AM doesn't end
up going the way CW has in recent years, and it's nice to occasionally
converse with a veteran AMer outside the popular window frequencies.

You may be right about radio in another 50 or 100 years. I don't hear that
many younger hams on HF regardless of mode. The last great surge of
newcomers in their teens and twenties came on the scene in the late 60s and
early 70s, making up many of the well-known Tall Ships, who are now in their
early sixties. The generations to follow are rather sparse. The AM community
(members of all ages) makes up one of the few remaining vestiges of genuine
amateur radio to be heard on the bands to-day.

Don k4kyv