[AMRadio] Headphones

Bill Guyger via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Mon Aug 25 18:11:48 EDT 2014

I think the impedances a lot of newer headsets are driven (pardon the pun) by what chips are in the radios, amps, etc. The headsets you see sportscasters wearing on TV are generally Sennheiser HMD-25's at about $450.00 a pop......I own 4 of them for doing sports originations for NBA, NHL, and MLB radio broadcasts. Mine all have Sennheiser's standard 600 Ohm drivers since my headphone amps can deliver serious power to the higher Z phones. An acquaintance has to use the same headsets with 80 Ohm drivers since his amps are built around LM 386 chips operating barefoot where as mine have current booster transistors or IC Current Drivers driven by NE5534's.

FWIW the reason the HMD-25's are the de facto standard is that they don't mess up the "talent's" hair since they're so light weight. Beyer 290's sound much better (at half the price) but they're built like Panzer tanks. I use the Beyer cans personally since they shut out the ambient noise and I can hear what I'm mixing better and I don't care about headphone hair.

I'm pretty sure the ear buds you see the youngsters destroying their hearing with (or at least isolating themselves from having to interact with those around them) are pretty high Z too.

Bill AD5OL