[AMRadio] ICM crystals

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Tue Dec 16 16:09:07 EST 2014

Something I have noticed the past few years is that at hamfests, crystals
for amateur  frequencies are practically non-existent. Plenty of 3 MHz below
80m, 5 MHz and 8 MHz, but rarely anything for the ham bands.

I wonder where they have all gone. Not that many hams run crystal controlled
transmitters any more, and I can't see why someone would have bought them
all up and hoarding them. Non-amateur frequencies are still plentiful.

I used to see plenty of amateur  frequencies at flea markets, often sold for
as little as a quarter each because no-one thought they were worth anything,
since they wouldn't work in a modern rig. There couldn't be THAT  many
antique radio enthusiasts around who would have a reason to  grab them all
up. If hams simply tossed them out because they no longer had any use for
them, why  didn't they toss out the non-amateur frequencies as well?

Don k4kyv

---