[AMRadio] AMRadio Digest, Vol 131, Issue 5


Wade Staggs tvman1954 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 22:04:56 EST 2014


*FYI, we have recently used International Crystal Supply as a source of
crystals for our FT-101E. ( wanted crystal control for 3980 KHZ ) And the
same thing for my Drake Twins. ( R-4A and T-4XB ) Also my Friend wanted his
very first 11 meter and tube type Cobra CB working again. ( a couple of 4
channel segments had died ) And although he will probably never transmit on
it again, he just wanted to keep it at 100%. Also, we have used their
crystals recently for the Omni 6 opt 3 .... International Crystal can be
found with a Google Search. They are very helpful and knowledgeable with
the crystal calculations and formulas. Their database covering old
equipment is pretty extensive.  We are now getting back to basics at 3885
KHZ. using AM in the Window and are having a Great Time making New Friends.*

*                                                            73 to All from
Wade/KJ4WS*

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:23 PM, <amradio-request at mailman.qth.net> wrote:
>
> Send AMRadio mailing list submissions to
>         amradio at mailman.qth.net
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         amradio-request at mailman.qth.net
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         amradio-owner at mailman.qth.net
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of AMRadio digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: ] Lifting center tap to kill B+ (Jim Wilhite)
>    2. Crystals (Jim Wilhite)
>    3. Re: Crystals (Jim Wilhite)
>    4. Re: ICM crystals (Donald Chester)
>    5. Re: ICM crystals (Ross Stenberg)
>    6. Re: ICM crystals (Rob Atkinson)
>    7. Re: ICM crystals (oldradio at comcast.net)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:12:53 -0600
> From: "Jim Wilhite" <w5jo at brightok.net>
> To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>,       <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ] Lifting center tap to kill B+
> Message-ID: <0FB61649167E4F0C9BAE7AC67C106B94 at JimPC>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>         reply-type=original
>
> In the installation you used did you have trouble with arcing across the
> contacts of the relay when it opened or did you use a vacuum relay?  Were
> there any problems associated with breaking the HV AC?
>
> Jim
> W5JO
>
> -----Original Message-----
> I used to break the CT connection to cut off the HV to my class B driver
> stage during stand-by, since I use a  type 83 MV tube type rectifier, and
> the filament has to stay on all the time, so there is no way to kill the HV
> transformer without killing the rectifier filament as well. After several
> years of service, I  lost the power transformer. Fortunately, I had an
> identical replacement. But after installing it, I got to thinking that
> maybe
> an internal insulation breakdown,  caused by repeatedly lifting the midtap
> during stand-by, gradually crapped out the insulation. I changed from using
> a SPST relay from CT to ground to using a DPST relay, with one set of
> contacts opening the circuit at each end of the HV winding, breaking the
> connection  between the transformer winding and each plate of the rectifier
> tube.
>
> Don k4kyv
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:35:15 -0600
> From: "Jim Wilhite" <w5jo at brightok.net>
> To: "AM Radio List" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Subject: [AMRadio] Crystals
> Message-ID: <C67663C5EE4A44B69C68DAF95752D8E4 at JimPC>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> A few days ago we were discussing crystal manufacturing.  I believe Jan
> Crystals is still around and who ever needs a crystal might want to contact
> them for availability and prices if they still do HC 6/U
>
> http://www.jancrystals.com/
>
> Jim
> W5JO
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:46:40 -0600
> From: "Jim Wilhite" <w5jo at brightok.net>
> To: "David Knepper" <collinsradio at comcast.net>
> Cc: AM Radio List <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Crystals
> Message-ID: <7487AB6BD2AE4CBEB468E0295B0DD10F at JimPC>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>         reply-type=response
>
> Don't know David.  I talked to them some time back and they didn't have the
> 100 Kc crystal I wanted.  I do know they are a small family business and
> did
> return my call.  With these family run businesses it is entirely possible
> the owner/operator cannot perform as they  have in the past.
>
> I am posting this to the reflector because of the following link.  Bliley
> is
> still in business and takes custom orders too.  Most of the manufacturers
> moved to specialty products but retain the capabilities to make what you
> want.  That is if you want to pay the price.
>
> http://www.bliley.com/products/
>
> Jim
> W5JO
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
>
> Jim, have you called them??
>
> I did and nothing but an answering machine.
>
> At least a year or so, they were not supplying crystals.
>
> What is their current status, I haven't a clue.
>
>
>
> David Knepper - W3CRA/W3ST
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:09:07 -0600
> From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>
> To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ICM crystals
> Message-ID: <000501d01974$87713b30$9653b190$@charter.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"
>
> Something I have noticed the past few years is that at hamfests, crystals
> for amateur  frequencies are practically non-existent. Plenty of 3 MHz
> below
> 80m, 5 MHz and 8 MHz, but rarely anything for the ham bands.
>
> I wonder where they have all gone. Not that many hams run crystal
> controlled
> transmitters any more, and I can't see why someone would have bought them
> all up and hoarding them. Non-amateur frequencies are still plentiful.
>
> I used to see plenty of amateur  frequencies at flea markets, often sold
> for
> as little as a quarter each because no-one thought they were worth
> anything,
> since they wouldn't work in a modern rig. There couldn't be THAT  many
> antique radio enthusiasts around who would have a reason to  grab them all
> up. If hams simply tossed them out because they no longer had any use for
> them, why  didn't they toss out the non-amateur frequencies as well?
>
> Don k4kyv
>
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:23:22 -0600
> From: "Ross Stenberg" <k9cox at charter.net>
> To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>,       <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ICM crystals
> Message-ID: <C4912330BB97454BB263A60E5766D423 at RossFlexSDR>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>         reply-type=original
>
> Brian Carling bought all of them :^)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Donald Chester
> Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:09 PM
> To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ICM crystals
>
> Something I have noticed the past few years is that at hamfests, crystals
> for amateur  frequencies are practically non-existent. Plenty of 3 MHz
> below
> 80m, 5 MHz and 8 MHz, but rarely anything for the ham bands.
>
> I wonder where they have all gone. Not that many hams run crystal
> controlled
> transmitters any more, and I can't see why someone would have bought them
> all up and hoarding them. Non-amateur frequencies are still plentiful.
>
> I used to see plenty of amateur  frequencies at flea markets, often sold
> for
> as little as a quarter each because no-one thought they were worth
> anything,
> since they wouldn't work in a modern rig. There couldn't be THAT  many
> antique radio enthusiasts around who would have a reason to  grab them all
> up. If hams simply tossed them out because they no longer had any use for
> them, why  didn't they toss out the non-amateur frequencies as well?
>
> Don k4kyv
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 18:42:43 -0600
> From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
> To: Ross Stenberg <k9cox at charter.net>
> Cc: Donald Chester <k4kyv at charter.net>, Discussion of AM Radio in the
>         Amateur Service <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ICM crystals
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CALWD7Z4aYJAGtSB7dYAXOrJMn+wfuNCW5OMKzqJB3jSCWGFEAw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Here's my theory:  They are being horded, then when the hoarder goes
> SK (and I am not casting stones--if I had a few good frequencies I'd
> hoard them too) I expect the rocks seem so trivial and insignificant
> that the spouse and/or children just toss them in the garbage.   It's
> yet another case of, if you can't make head or tail of what the heck
> the thing is, and you can't imagine a use for it, then out it goes.  I
> bet a million FT243s are in landfills.
>
> Rob
> K5UJ
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Ross Stenberg <k9cox at charter.net> wrote:
> > Brian Carling bought all of them :^)
> >
> > -----Original Message----- From: Donald Chester
> > Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:09 PM
> > To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> > Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ICM crystals
> >
> > Something I have noticed the past few years is that at hamfests, crystals
> > for amateur  frequencies are practically non-existent. Plenty of 3 MHz
> below
> > 80m, 5 MHz and 8 MHz, but rarely anything for the ham bands.
> >
> > I wonder where they have all gone. Not that many hams run crystal
> controlled
> > transmitters any more, and I can't see why someone would have bought them
> > all up and hoarding them. Non-amateur frequencies are still plentiful.
> >
> > I used to see plenty of amateur  frequencies at flea markets, often sold
> for
> > as little as a quarter each because no-one thought they were worth
> anything,
> > since they wouldn't work in a modern rig. There couldn't be THAT  many
> > antique radio enthusiasts around who would have a reason to  grab them
> all
> > up. If hams simply tossed them out because they no longer had any use for
> > them, why  didn't they toss out the non-amateur frequencies as well?
> >
> > Don k4kyv
> >
> >
> > ______________________________________________________________
> > Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> > AMRadio mailing list
> > Archives: http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/amradio/
> > List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> > List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> > Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> > To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
> > the word unsubscribe in the message body.
> >
> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 02:22:56 +0000 (UTC)
> From: oldradio at comcast.net
> To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
> Cc: Donald Chester <k4kyv at charter.net>, AM Radio
>         <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ICM crystals
> Message-ID:
>         <1949721954.5981836.1418782976164.JavaMail.zimbra at comcast.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> One time when I went to pick up an estate in north Jersey, the mother in
> law told me, all proud, when I arrived: That she saved me time by throwing
> out all those old papers and books in the trash the day before.  My friend
> told her I was taking the old radios, so.... out in the trash everything
> else.
>
> Nice radios - with no paper.
>
> 73, John
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
> To: "Ross Stenberg" <k9cox at charter.net>
> Cc: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>, "Discussion of AM Radio in the
> Amateur Service" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:42:43 PM
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ICM crystals
>
> Here's my theory:  They are being horded, then when the hoarder goes
> SK (and I am not casting stones--if I had a few good frequencies I'd
> hoard them too) I expect the rocks seem so trivial and insignificant
> that the spouse and/or children just toss them in the garbage.   It's
> yet another case of, if you can't make head or tail of what the heck
> the thing is, and you can't imagine a use for it, then out it goes.  I
> bet a million FT243s are in landfills.
>
> Rob
> K5UJ
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Ross Stenberg <k9cox at charter.net> wrote:
> > Brian Carling bought all of them :^)
> >
> > -----Original Message----- From: Donald Chester
> > Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:09 PM
> > To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> > Subject: Re: [AMRadio] ICM crystals
> >
> > Something I have noticed the past few years is that at hamfests, crystals
> > for amateur  frequencies are practically non-existent. Plenty of 3 MHz
> below
> > 80m, 5 MHz and 8 MHz, but rarely anything for the ham bands.
> >
> > I wonder where they have all gone. Not that many hams run crystal
> controlled
> > transmitters any more, and I can't see why someone would have bought them
> > all up and hoarding them. Non-amateur frequencies are still plentiful.
> >
> > I used to see plenty of amateur  frequencies at flea markets, often sold
> for
> > as little as a quarter each because no-one thought they were worth
> anything,
> > since they wouldn't work in a modern rig. There couldn't be THAT  many
> > antique radio enthusiasts around who would have a reason to  grab them
> all
> > up. If hams simply tossed them out because they no longer had any use for
> > them, why  didn't they toss out the non-amateur frequencies as well?
> >
> > Don k4kyv
> >
> >
> > ______________________________________________________________
> > Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> > AMRadio mailing list
> > Archives: http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/amradio/
> > List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> > List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> > Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> > To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
> > the word unsubscribe in the message body.
> >
> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> ______________________________________________________________
> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AMRadio mailing list
> Archives: http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/amradio/
> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> AMRadio mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of AMRadio Digest, Vol 131, Issue 5
> ***************************************
>


More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 17 Nov 2017.