[AMRadio] ICM crystals

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:26:19 EST 2014

I still get the rocks when I can find them because some modern
frequency source full of chips may crap out with VLSI chips that are
unobtainium, or even if I got a replacement part, putting it in would
be impossible with regular bench soldering tools.   Another nice thing
with crystals is they are handy for testing and troubleshooting.  Plug
one in and try the rig and see what happens.  Depending on what it
does you have either eliminated the VFO as the problem or eliminated
the transmitter and can focus on the VFO.  Crystals have no warmup
time.  probably other advantages I can't think of.

Rob
K5UJ