[AMRadio] Help with Baur 707 transitter

Mel Farrer via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Sun Dec 28 17:48:25 EST 2014

Hello Don,
I have a 707 also and converted it up to 75 meters.  L5 is just a RFC choke.  The adjustment is just a peaking coil, the cap on the cold side of the coil is just a bypass.  Since you don't know the condition of the existing coil whether the slug has been changed to brass or ferrite, I would resonate it with a cap.  If you have a scope and can look at the final grid current on 1600, you should be able to put the coil on max and observe the grid current.  Adding a 100 pf or so should allow you to see if the grid current moves higher.  Put the scope on the final grid and make sure the waveform is a clean sine wave for 1600 KHz.  Also, start at the osc current and make sure you are starting off with rated reading.  I found that most of the 707s modified for SW had considerable changes in the RF components to get the drive up.  Take a picture of the RF chain and the final tank configuration.  I hope they left all of the HP components in place and just bypassed them...  Keep in touch.
Mel, K6KBE