[AMRadio] Tube ID

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Feb 24 16:41:58 EST 2014

The question was what tube the one I had, and there was no trouble
identifying it as a VR tube or how it operates, that is well understood.
The question was, when in operation, it displayed a color I had never seen
before.  The tube envelope did not have any markings as to the type, either
US or European and the manufacturer's logs was so smeared as to be
unreadable.

The tube was not as the manual for the equipment designated, an OB2 so I
asked, based on color of the tube when operating, if anyone could recognize
what type it was.  I have the answer and, given the stages it regulates, I
am not changing it for an OB2.   I had never seen a miniature VR tube with
the yellow/orange glow which turns out to be neon and regulates voltage to a
lower value than the OB2.

Thanks to all who commented and provided links to similar examples.

Jim
W5JO