[AMRadio] Ranger problem-No joy yet

Robert Sauvan rsauvan at beyondbb.com
Wed Jan 1 08:40:32 EST 2014

I cant thank everyone enough for the suggestions to my fix on the
Ranger. I have gone through everyones suggestions with no success yet.
All caps check out good, C86, C87, & C89. R39 is the variable resistor
to set the keying and that shows to be working on the scope,but, it
doesnt seem to be doing anything to affect the radio.What Im saying is
by turning the shaft, it does not change the cutoff for the vfo. No
change in the radio. Maybe this should be replaced despite the fact that
I can see it working on the scope? I was having considerable difficulty
getting the radio to reproduce the problem on the workbench. It would
work just fine and when I put it back on the shack table it would act up
right away. Now, of course, everyone is going to say, "something is
different in the shack". My same thought, so I reproduced the same setup
in the shack as I did on the workbench. Problem cropped up right away on
the shack table. Took it back down to the workbench, problem wouldnt
occur. Although I could get it to happen eventually. I even went so far
as checking the voltage on my wall outlets to see if they were different
and swapped the plug strips to make sure I was reproducing everything
exactly. I was using a dummy load and took all antenna relays etc off
line and bypassed.  So,  more troubleshooting today. This doesnt look to
be an easy find.

Thanks-Bob-W0YBS