[AMRadio] Twin line cord

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 10:59:29 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Max Cotton <airradio at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> I am looking for some 10amp black rubber twin figure 8 line cord to
> restore a Collins 32v1 transmitter, the old cable has been removed and
> discarded, is there a supplier that I can use?

You won't find the original natural rubber-covered zip cord, Max. If you do
find a surplus roll somewhere, it will likely be cracked throughout. I
understand the predicament as I've tried to locate the same for years with
no luck. Have managed to salvage a few cords, but used them only for
speaker cables due to light cracking.

Today all you'll find are vinyl and other man-made concoctions that neither
look or feel the same but offer safer insulation. They're shiny and stiff
in comparison to the old rubber stuff.

A good compromise IMO would be to go to the 3 wire system and use some
commercial grade cable with an appropriate outer jacket, and an old
buzzard-style plug. Won't be original but neither will the new vinyl with a
molded 2 prong plug. And as others have pointed out, it will be a lot
safer. I've done this on a number of rigs and it looks 'old' instead of
looking like the cord on the new kitchen toaster oven.

As to the add-on suppressor circuit, I'd toss it. You can likely find a
better alternative should any problems arise now.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4