[AMRadio] Paint Filler

W. Harris nbcblue at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 6 12:58:43 EST 2014

You say "Bakelite or Catalin". They are two different plastics. Bakelite is a thermoset resin that is cured under heat and high pressure and does contain fillers. The shiny finish on Bakelite is very thin and if you polish through it it is gone. Catalin is a poured resin that does not contain fillers. Catalin out gasses over time and shrinks. That is why you see cracks in Catalin radios usually around the screws holding the cabinet to the chassis.

Bill