[AMRadio] Paint Filler

Jerry jsternmd at att.net
Mon Jan 6 20:04:47 EST 2014

Perhaps there is a difference between catalin and bakelite used for common
vintage radio knobs and boards versus jewelry.  Collector quality bakelite
or catalin jewelry - some which sell for more than KWS-1 -- can be polished
aggressively to restore the original colors which oxides dull over time.  My
wife (the 40+ years of collecting expert ) claims never to have heard of
over-polishing any bakelite or catalin at risk of breaking through any
'thin' finish.  Further you can buy on Ebay rods, blocks of various catalin
and bakelite and it is apparent that the "finish" and color(s) is through
and through these few inch thick blocks .  Perhaps the phenolics used in
jewlry was of a different quality or process than radio knobs but I would be
surprised as bakelite and catalin jewelry were mass produced for the "poor"
folk.  The phenolics absorb and release moisture during the process and are
more susceptible when exposed to heat as in radios.  I found an interesting
article from a 1918 Aeronautical journal discussing the benefits of
manufacturing propellers with a bakelite veneer over wood.  Real interesting
reading- can be found by Google.

Well let's go back to radios...

Jerry