[AMRadio] helping another Ham

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed Jan 8 21:24:10 EST 2014

Can he still operate with general class privileges using his Conditional?

I don't recall what happened to the existing conditionals when they stopped
issuing them under incentive licensing, if they had to  re-test or if they
simply increased the required distance from an FCC testing site to qualify.
I do remember that the "buddy system" that was quite common in those days,
when a General class ham would give conditional class tests to his buddies,
and help them out on the test or let them use reference material. You
usually  could spot them a mile away by trying to bring up a technical
discussion with them over the air or in person. That's why the FCC curtailed
them. Under the old 75-mile limit, the majority of the territory in the US
qualified, although probably a smaller fraction of the population actually
lived in those rural  areas. You could qualify for conditional in
practically the entire state of Kentucky.

Don