[AMRadio] helping another Ham

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Thu Jan 9 13:30:56 EST 2014

>>If he has kept the license renewed  then he has the same privileges as the
General Class.  But he needs the license to operate.  I just checked the FCC
data base and he is there with an expiration date of 1/18/2024.  However it
shows him with a Technician class license.

Jim
W5JO >>

That reminds me of Con, W4EBG (SK) in Paducah, KY, a prominent AMer who
gained quite a reputation nationwide during the AM/slopbucket wars of the
1960s. He was licensed as a Conditional, but upon receiving his last
renewal, his ticket indicated "Technician (C)".  I think the FCC screwed up
when they issued the renewal, but his subsequent callbook entries showed
"Technician" and a lot of people complained that he was operating illegally
with a technician licence. The FCC never contacted him despite the fact
given his notoriety, they were bound to have received numerous complaints,
so he must have still  been listed in their main data base as Conditional.
He never tried to have the error corrected, insisting that everything was in
order because the "(C)" on his licence card meant  he was really
Conditional.

The FCC eventually denied his subsequent renewal, over unrelated issues
having to do with language uttered over the air during attempts to jam his
AM signal.

Don

---