[AMRadio] US House Bill Requires HOAs comply with PRB-1

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 17:23:18 EDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's actually hams who LIKE HOAs.  I think that's another sign of a
> bogus phoney ham right there.

What makes them 'bogus' and 'phoney', Rob? The fact that they don't think
like you or enjoy the same aspects of the hobby that you enjoy?

> There was some guy in Arizona who posted on eham.net that he liked
> HOAs.  I checked out his QRZ page.  A shack of plastic radios and his
> antenna is.....a teeny mobile screw driver whip antenna outside on the
> ground with a bunch of radials.   Probably a 20 minute transmission
> with a BC610 on phone would melt that screwdriver coil form.   No word
> about how well his radio reception is.  I'd think a screwdriver
> vertical would stink for receiving, especially on the low bands.

You'd think wrong. I've got a small (5-6 ft) vertical whip installed
*inside* here hooked up to a SP-100 that I receive AM 740 out of Toronto
with just fine. Same goes for any ham AM signal with a little power behind
it.

Here we are on the July 4th Holiday weekend when we celebrate "Life
> Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" and we fought how many wars over
> Liberty? and some folks will just pee it all away signing a HOA
> contract... pretty sad in my opinion.

In my opinion it's sad that you'd marginalize others simply because they
don't think like you do. If being part of a HOA makes them happy, where's
the harm? It's one less person taking up good radio space others who detest
HOAs could be using, by your view. Or, simply someone exercising their
right to choose. Exactly what 'independence' means.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4