[AMRadio] US House Bill Requires HOAs comply with PRB-1

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 18:43:58 EDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM, L L bahr <pulsarxp at embarqmail.com> wrote:

> I hate them too, however in Texas they are almost a necessity as there are
> no or few city building codes or ordinances.  You surely don't want to
> build a $500,000 house in a subdivision and have a person bring in a double
> wide trailer to be your neighbor either.

Simple solution: buy enough land so you won't have an undesirable situation
next door - even if it means only building, say - a $200K house. We went
for less house here and more land/fewer restrictions. Haven't regretted it.

After finally selling our previous house recently, we've started looking
again for something bigger(a new member of the family made this already
small house too small) and a bit closer in to Raleigh. I'm amazed at the
$500K+ McMansions built on an acre with another house so close you can hear
their conversations. And people buy them. Whatever floats their boat, it's
not for me.

> The association is honoring my grandfathering, but my neighbor told me he
> never plans to talk to me again. I guess that is the way it will have to
> be.

And that's a problem even outside HOAs: you might have GREAT neighbors for
5 years. Then they move, and you end up with absolute idiots next to you.
All the more reason to have a buffer zone. OTOH, applying the same logic
says your neighbor will move at some point and you'll get a better one.

> The idea of associations is a good one, however, you have people put on
> these committees with their own agendas or have lack of knowled
>  ge or don't have good judgment abilities.  Then as the committee members
> change, so do the standards.  There is no checks or balances or standards
> who gets on these boards or committees.

Not a lot different than politics, really. And yet another reason to avoid
them, in my opinion. The rational, reasonable people eventually leave and
you get some idealistic member with zero common sense who knows what's best
for everyone else telling you what you can and can't do.

Some day I might think differently. In the meantime, I don't begrudge
others their right to live there if they want. But if I'm paying the
mortgage, upkeep, taxes and whatever else, I surely don't want someone else
telling me what to do with my property.  I'd get a condo and avoid the
upkeep if I wanted that.

Just wait Lee, until your new tower starts getting into your neighbor's
computer speakers. You know it's coming, even if you don't have an antenna
hooked up. (o:

~ Todd/KAQ