Jay Bromley jayw5jay at cox.net
Mon Jul 7 14:37:46 EDT 2014

Hi Rob and Don,
I think we are seeing just the culture changing.  I taught a technician
class just a year ago and we had the largest turn out ever and all got their
license.  I spent tons of time talking about antennas and more than one
evening on just "antennas".  I would always preach antenna, antenna,
antenna!

Two things I noticed right off, gone are the ex-CBers, replaced by the storm
chaser want-ta-bees, the survivalists, and a few others had family members
they wanted to emulate that were now SK status.

I had one gentleman in particular that agonized for weeks over getting his
first antenna up I the air!  I would go over to his QTH and say something
like you have such nice trees just hang up a doublet off them.  His reply
was, oh my wife would never allow me to do that or that would look ugly.  I
am not sure about the wife comment as she was in the class as well and got
her license too.  She was pushing and supporting him the whole way.  The
home they have is in a nice neighborhood and it is indeed a nice looking
place.  However to me I don't think a few wires in the tree tops would have
hurt anything!  Most of the time you get them high enough you never see
them!

In his case he was looking for a single antenna that works all the bands and
is not that big.  One of those not so cheap do it all verticals, that have
horrible performance, he kept looking at and coming back to!  Some of the
class just didn't get all my preaching about the single most important thing
in a station is the antenna.  In the end, I got him to put up a simple 2
element Moxon.  He is working the world, but he doesn't have the experience
to know just how much money and grief I saved him.  So in the end, I am not
sure I did him any good.  I have seen guys quit the hobby over a POC antenna
and not making contacts, but did he really learn anything from me in the end
without the struggling for himself?

I've even noticed myself changing on this, not the antennas per say, but
prefer to do my antenna hanging when folks are not at home.  As they walk by
they always look up, but no one has ever said a thing to me.  Still I just
heard the other day at another ham's home someone  asking if the outside
antenna was even legal and this was not in protected sub division!!

Just getting more land may not the solution either.  Just ask a few hams
that have tons of acreage that went to court over their antennas!  This
antenna thing is getting to be a real hassle even with the some of the folks
that have the land that wanted to put up some nice towers.  Now some
counties are having antenna ordinances added to their books.

Just like so many things in our lives now, a few decades ago no one would
have cared or say anything!  A real shame IMHO.  Antennas are ham radio and
no ham should have to worry about what he does on his own land as long as it
is done in a safe manner!  73 de w5jay..