[AMRadio] Antenna issues.

Randall Berry randyn3lrx at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 21:30:48 EDT 2014

  I'm in an apartment and may have to secretly string a wire to the
trees. I've got my slingshot and fishing reel ready, but I keep
pondering the idea of asking the office first and hope they say yes, or
just do it. I'd really hate to get evicted for putting up an antenna
though.

  I'm pretty sure I can get an end fed out there and not make any
noticeable changes to their building. Which I could see their concern,
but I'd only need a small hook attached to the wall of my balcony. I see
some have flower hangars attached to their wall, so why can't I hang a
wire? Then at least I can get on the air with a couple watts. I don't
think I can run a full gallon in my situation I'll have to turn the
carrier down quite a bit. Maybe test the waters with 100 watts and
gradually move up to 200 watts and go from there..

  I'm pretty sure most of the neighbors have cable TV so I shouldn't
have too many problems with RFI, just the occasional talking toaster.
I'm not even sure there is much problems anymore now that the telly is
digital. It's not like the old analog NTSC days anymore. Is there still
an issue? I guess there's always a chance of getting into the audio
amplifier and modulating that, but I don't know about their over the air
signal.

  I miss my house in Maryland. I had a little ole shack on 11 acres with
the permission from the landlord to do whatever I wanted. It's a shame I
didn't have a transmitter at the time, but I had a few wires in the
trees. A 160m horizontal L and a full 75m dipole..

73 de Randy, N3LRX