[AMRadio] Antenna issues.

Jay Bromley jayw5jay at cox.net
Mon Jul 7 21:31:59 EDT 2014

Thankfully the RFI issues seem to be calming down from our end to devices
like telephones, TVs, etc.  However now it is our turn with all the devices
radiating back in to our receivers.  Anything from nasty beer refrigerators
to electric blankets.  All have the same thing in common nasty switching
power supplies.

When I was running the Collins KW1 and the Johnson Desk, two things I
remember doing I didn't think was possible.  One was lightning the next door
neighbor's kitchen incandescent light bulb when I transmitted!  This was not
a touch lamps, but I had my share of those as well.

The other was rattling the laminations of a motor inside a washing machine!
You could hear my audio as plain as day.  I wasn't too popular in that
neighborhood, but when he complained no one took his serious as he was known
to have an alcohol problem.   I wouldn't have believed it either until
another ham went over and recorded me.

This was on 20m with a 3 element Telerex beam and the RFI was over 3 blocks
from my QTH.  However I never did qualify for WAT (worked all tubs).  J

I sure miss that setup!

73 de w5jay/jay..