[AMRadio] Antenna issues.

K5MYJ macklinbob at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 10:40:57 EDT 2014

In the late 60's, early 70's I live in an apartment where a HF antenna was
not possible. But I was able to work 2M AM on a coaxial dipole hung from the
second floor rain gutter. It worked well for local activity.

2M AM is now HISTORY and it seems most 2M FM activity is on the repeaters.

What does a modern ham start with? The cheapest solution is a 2M FM
transceiver.

There are no HF transceivers (that I know of) available under $500.

In THE OLD DAYS we would start with a GC receiver and a HB transmitter. We
learned our CW that way. As time went on we would upgrade the receiver and
the transmitter as funds would allow.

That method of getting started does not seem possible anymore for NEWBIES.

I started with  S-38 ( the original with a REAL BFO) and a HB 6AG7/807
transmitter from a mid 50's handbook.

Is HF radio in decline? I don't see much HF activity here in Seattle except
on contest days. And I use the Reverse Beacons to monitor CW activity. But
they don't work well for AM or SSB.

I'm not the only one in this area that does not see much activity. And I do
have some decent receivers.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.