[AMRadio] Antenna issues.

Kevin Raper kj4hyd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 11:34:27 EDT 2014

On Jul 8, 2014, at 10:40 AM, K5MYJ wrote:

> 2M AM is now HISTORY and it seems most 2M FM activity is on the repeaters.

There are several of us AM nuts that use old 2 meter AM rigs on the air. I use a Home-Brew Heathkit 2er clone myself.

> What does a modern ham start with? The cheapest solution is a 2M FM transceiver.
>
> There are no HF transceivers (that I know of) available under $500.

I just picked up a nice Working, but drifting EICO 753 Tribander for $100 Bucks.

> Is HF radio in decline? I don't see much HF activity here in Seattle except on contest days. And I use the Reverse Beacons to monitor CW activity. But they don't work well for AM or SSB.

NO, 160M, 75M, 40M, 6M and 2 Meter AM are all alive and well in South Carolina!

> I'm not the only one in this area that does not see much activity. And I do have some decent receivers.

Some of the South Carolina AMers are Me, KI4MLN, W4OPW, KC4KMG, AI4NX, and many more.

73,
Kevin Raper
KJ4HYD
CE WCKI WQIZ WLTQ

There is no limitation to the fidelity of AM radio. From a mathematical standpoint, AM does better in frequency response than FM. - Leonard Kahn