[AMRadio] Antenna issues.

Randall Berry randyn3lrx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 12:09:38 EDT 2014

On 07/08/2014 11:34 AM, Kevin Raper wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2014, at 10:40 AM, K5MYJ wrote:
>
>> 2M AM is now HISTORY and it seems most 2M FM activity is on the
>> repeaters.
>

> There are several of us AM nuts that use old 2 meter AM rigs on the
> air. I use a Home-Brew Heathkit 2er clone myself.

  That I'm glad to hear. I had a Heathkit Twoer as well but never got
around to using it because there was no 2m am activity in the area.

>> What does a modern ham start with? The cheapest solution is a 2M FM
>> transceiver.
  For entry level yes, especially when you can buy a Baofeng HT for $35
on amazon. High band activity here sucks.. The local 2 m, 1.25 m, and
the 70 cm repeaters lay quiet unless there is a net. Then you're lucky
to hear 5 people check in (often less).

>> There are no HF transceivers (that I know of) available under $500.
>

> I just picked up a nice Working, but drifting EICO 753 Tribander for
> $100 Bucks.
>

>> Is HF radio in decline? I don't see much HF activity here in Seattle
>> except on contest days. And I use the Reverse Beacons to monitor CW
>> activity. But they don't work well for AM or SSB.

  NO, 160M, 75M, 40M, 6M and 2 Meter AM are all alive and well in South
Carolina!