[AMRadio] Antenna Issues

James R. La Frieda lafrieda at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 16:17:31 EDT 2014

One excellent alternative to a stealth flagpole antenna, or heating up
one's rain gutters is to build a Hi Q Magnetic Loop Antenna

that is no more than  3 ft in diameter, and which works out great, being
only 3 ft off the ground.

To see these loop antennas and how they are built , look at the QRZ. com
site of Rich, K8NDS

And, if you become interested, join the Yahoo Group at:

Below is a recent e-mail from a ham who just built his first Hi Q loop:
================================================================================================================================================================================================
Thank you, Rich.  I hope to start experimenting sometime later this
week.  I'll post more results afterwards.

By the way - during field day with my club, one of the hams came with
his mag loop antenna he made. It was a crude layout but did it ever
work.....!!!!!!!!!    He made over 100 contacts on 15m.   Even worked
Russia, France, and South America with 50w on PSK31.  His loop was 3 ft
diameter.  2 ft off ground held up by 1 in PVC pipe stuck in a 5 gal
bucket of sand.  He used a air capacitor and a Grama match.   Got 1:1 on
28.120.

Everyone at my club knew I was working on my loop but couldn't get it
working in time.  His loop made believers out of our members.  I gave
several members this Yahoo group to check out.   As you know, lots of
hams don't know about how good a performance you can get from loops,
especially your helical design :-

73,  Jim (N6MV)