[AMRadio] Valiant output

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Wed Jul 9 12:59:03 EDT 2014

I can verify from personal experience with my own Valiant that the shunt for plate current may well be too high in resistance and cause the meter to read a current that is higher than that which is actually flowing.  The original meter shunt is made from "resistance wire" which does not take solder very well, and in my rig the solder joints had deteriorated.  As I recall - it was quite a few years ago - I tried unsuccessfully to resolder the shunt and finally made a replacement shunt out of copper wire.  It's easy enough to diagnose the problem, if any.  Just put a reliable meter in series with the B+ lead to the final plate and compare its reading to the Valiant meter.  Do be careful of the high voltage, however.

Jim Hanlon, W8KGI