[AMRadio] Valiant output

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Jul 9 15:50:29 EDT 2014

That is the best approach to the problem.  I have had several Valiants and
all suffered this problem.  You cannot, except under certain circumstances,
solder Nichrome wire.  The construction book says to crimp it to make a
solid mechanical connection then flow solder over it to hold it in place.
Over the years that solder will crystalize due to heat and can completely
fall off.

Getting the heat right on that connection is a bit of a challenge so what I
do is order 1% wire wound resistors (1 or 2 watt) to replace that wire.
Those resistors are available at Mouser, Digi-Key and Allied I know.  By
replacing them the long term problem  should disappear in our lifetime.

Jim
W5JO