[AMRadio] Valiant output

Larry Szendrei ne1s at securespeed.us
Wed Jul 9 18:18:38 EDT 2014

On 7/9/2014 3:50 PM, Jim Wilhite wrote:
>  You cannot, except under certain circumstances, solder Nichrome wire.

The "special circumstances" must be the use of a liquid acid flux,
silver-bearing solder, and adequate heat. I've made several nichrome
parasitic suppressors using the liquid flux (nasty stuff!) and silver
solder that Rich Measures includes in his kits - or did, anyway. It's
been 17 years since I bought one. Anyway, the solder will stick to the
nichrome if done this way. Of course the joint needs to be rinsed
thoroughly when completed, more easily done with a parasitic suppressor
than a terminal strip under the chassis of a Valiant. You could probably
wipe it off with wet cotton swabs and be OK.

> The construction book says to crimp it to make a solid mechanical
> connection then flow solder over it to hold it in place. Over the
> years that solder will crystalize due to heat and can completely fall
> off.

Doesn't sound like a connection I'd trust either.

73,
-Larry/NE1S