[AMRadio] Valiant output

Mel Farrer via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Wed Jul 9 18:34:37 EDT 2014

I think the nasty stuff was a acid base flux.  SO, if you use it in a confined space use a cotton swab soaked in baking soda like my grandfather taught me years ago.  Then with just water.  The soda neutralizes the acid and the water wipe cleans up the mess.

Mel, K6KBE

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:18 PM, Larry Szendrei <ne1s at securespeed.us> wrote:

On 7/9/2014 3:50 PM, Jim Wilhite wrote:
>  You cannot, except under certain circumstances, solder Nichrome wire.

The "special circumstances" must be the use of a liquid acid flux,
silver-bearing solder, and adequate heat. I've made several nichrome
parasitic suppressors using the liquid flux (nasty stuff!) and silver
solder that Rich Measures includes in his kits - or did, anyway. It's
been 17 years since I bought one. Anyway, the solder will stick to the
nichrome if done this way. Of course the joint needs to be rinsed
thoroughly when completed, more easily done with a parasitic suppressor
than a terminal strip under the chassis of a Valiant. You could probably
wipe it off with wet cotton swabs and be OK.

> The construction book says to crimp it to make a solid mechanical
> connection then flow solder over it to hold it in place. Over the
> years that solder will crystalize due to heat and can completely fall
> off.

Doesn't sound like a connection I'd trust either.

73,
-Larry/NE1S