[AMRadio] Antenna Issues

James R. La Frieda lafrieda at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 21:54:14 EDT 2014

No question about it, I truly enjoyed having a Triex W-55 tower with a 4
element Yagi for 32 years which enabled me to QSO with over 300
countries, but when it came to retire, I decided to get the hell out of

California with its grid locked freeways, with its smog and polluted
water, and high state income taxes, and relocate to an area that had no
fwy gridlock, clean air, clean water, and no state income taxes.

Had a big decision to make . Namely, do I purchase a home on  2.5 to 5
acres where I could put up a 70 ft tower and a 4 el Yagi and then be
faced with septic tanks, along with a private well that had to be
checked periodically to

make sure that its water was not contaminated, along with using
expensive propane, vs. purchasing a home with CC&R's on over an acre -
that did not disallow antennas - as long as they couldn't be seen - that
had natural gas,

county water and sewers. In sum, it didn't take too  long to decide that
my XYL and I would prefer county water vs. a private well; that we would
prefer natural gas vs. using expensive propane and that we would prefer

having waste delivered  to a sewer vs. having to worry about cleaning a
septic tank every few years , and that the septic tank did not leach
into the source of water !

In sum, there are other things that are more important to one's XYL -
than ham radio - and when it comes to my XYL, she has always come
_first_ before ham radio !

Bottomline: am now using a 3 ft- diameter  Hi Q Magnetic Loop Antenna
that is 3 ft off the ground, and it works like gangbusters on 20, 15, 12
and 10 meters, in that I can easily connect with others on the East
Coast, in

Europe ,in Japan, and in Australia and  New Zealand.  Sure, it's not  a
4 element  Yagi at 55 or 70 ft, but the fact of the matter is that a 3
ft diameter Hi Q Magnetic Loop  with a loop circumference of 1.25"  is a
very effective

HF antenna ( as you can verify at :
http://www.66pacific.com/calculators/small_tx_loop_calc.aspx. )  with a
radiation efficiency of:

  * 71 % on 20 meters ( 14 MHz)

  * 91 % on 15 meters ( 21 MHz)

  * 97  % on 10 meters ( 29 MHz)

In sum, Hi Q Magnetic Antennas that have been designed by Rich, K8NDS,
which are helically wound with copper foil ,that increases the
inductance and hence the radiation resistance,and hence radiation
efficiency vs. a solid

copper or aluminum conductor have even higher radiation efficiency !

What was K8NDS's response to this thread re: Antenna Issues