[AMRadio] Swan 600

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 15:11:10 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 1:23 PM, <manualman at juno.com> wrote:

> The Kenwood 599 twins are still popular today. There were three models.
> The Kenwood R-599/T-599, R-599A/T-599A, and R-599D/T-599D.  The "A" and
> "D" were basically the same except for cosmetic changes. They sound
> fantastic on AM. Transmitters were all solid state except for the driver
> (12BY7) and the final (pair of 6146B's).

The D model had the later Champagne finish with the black knobs. They do
sound decent on the air right out of the box. I've got a set of the A
models. They're my concession to the world of new, solid-state stuff. They
were the rigs I drooled over in the old QST magazines as a JN, along with
the KWM-2A.

Have only seen a handful of the 'big' Swans. Always got the feeling they
didn't make many or they didn't sell well. Did they also make a general
coverage receiver based on this model? Used a 1011-D years ago. Marginal
receiver and stability as I recall.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4