[AMRadio] Off the air!

W4AWM via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Tue Jun 3 22:35:53 EDT 2014

Must have thought it was an Indian transmitter...sending smoke  signals!

73

John,  W4AWM

In a message dated 6/3/2014 5:55:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ka1kaq at gmail.com writes:

On Tue,  Jun 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> why don't you fix one of them?

Agreed - I've  let the smoke out of my 32V-2 on a couple occasions, wasn't
difficult at  all to locate the problem (in my case, an oil-filled cap let
loose as did  its equally-aged replacement). The longest period of time was
spent  obtaining replacement parts. Big zorches are almost a pleasure to
work on  compared to those pesky intermittent problems.

Plus, there is no  guarantee if you go out and buy another transmitter that
something inside  it won't burn up tomorrow or next week. At least with your
own transmitter  you have more of a known quantity.

Had to chuckle are reading it  though, Ronnie. Reminded me of a visit to
K4OZY's place for his July 4th  party a few years back. He brought my wife
and I out to his air-conditioned  radio building (it was scorching outside)
and set us down at his 32V/R-388  station. I worked a few stations and was
in the middle of a transmission to  Steve/KC4SSB when Jen said
"Uh...Todd?..." and pointed to a could of smoke  rising from the back. Steve
still remembers my rapid departure  well.

But it was still  transmitting!

:D