[AMRadio] Transformer

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Jun 8 13:35:16 EDT 2014

I used to keep the oscillator tube in the  PTO running all the time in my
converted T-368 exciter that I use for VFO. It drifts only a few hundred cps
from a cold start, but it takes it a while to completely settle down. The
only time that's a real problem is when I use it for 40m CW, and the signal
drifts out of the passband of a narrow CW filter. But I found that when
running it all the time, it substantially shortens tube life, and I was
having to replace osc tubes after less than a year of service, and now that
ANY good tube is gradually becoming less available, I decided to shut it off
whenever the receiver is turned off.

I have a couple of spare PTOs, so I need to check if they are any more
stable. I might even consider a 'tubster' in the oscillator circuit, if I
can come up with a drop-in replacement that works as  well as a real tube,
and let that run 24/7 except when a lightning storm is likely.