[AMRadio] Need 6146A's

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Jun 22 22:20:40 EDT 2014

There is a difference in the interelectrode capacitance but is is very
little between the no suffix, the A suffix and the B version.  The problem
occurs above 15 meters and if you neutralize the transmitter you should not
have any trouble with the B or W versions.  No matter what version you
choose, you should neutralize the finals after changing the tubes.  There is
small differences in all tubes built in during manufacture so you need to
compensate for that.

The Collins gear had a problem and issued an SB to change the value of the
neutralizing cap, I believe.  After that there wasn't any problems.

If you are skittish about it, then use the B suffix in Audio section  in the
B&W 5100 series and Johnson transmitters.  I have used the B version in both
brand transmitters  in the RF section without problems.

Jim
W5JO